Friday, October 1, 2010

Entry 2: Reflection on my first lesson.

It was an enlightening experience that I have had on my first lesson. It was very different from what I have expected. On my way to class, I was pondering to myself, "How am I going to survive sitting down for four hours learning Math?" It was something which was unthinkable! My perception towards Math soon changed as I stepped into the classroom and being faced with our lecturer Dr Yeap. I could feel and hear voices of excitement buzzing in the air.

We were first introduced to the number sequence game. It was a struggle at first when my partner and myself tried to work on a trial and error method. We only managed to do up till '3.'It was much later when I actually thought of a faster solution; with the help of paper and pencil, I drew out ten squares and started to spell and fit in the corresponding numbers accordingly into the square I stopped at. It was truly a new discovery!


I enjoyed the video on 'Dice,' too. It is something which I have never thought of before though I have tried using a die for some movement games with my children as they count and move to the number of dots on the die. As I am working with the Nursery 2s, it is difficult for them to grasp the dice concept of the linear counting whichs adds up to 14 each time. Back in class the next day, I decided to simplify things to their level. I demonstrated how they can perform addition games or exercises with it. They were first being introduced to the sign '+' and '=' and I explained to them the meaning of both. I then showed them how to toss the dice and count the dots on one and then to add with the other. I got them to extend their learning and understanding by recording the responses in their journal. It was an effective and meaningful lesson for them all.

I also enjoyed the paper clips game of 'take one or take two.' After a few rounds of playing with my partner, we came to the conclusion that after the fifth paperclip, the next player who picked whether it is one or two will lose in the end. That is one strategy that we've found out in winning the game before the others shared theirs, too. Learning Math has never been this fun. Too bad we can't turn back the clock!  



No comments:

Post a Comment