Sunday, October 3, 2010

Entry 7: Geometric thinking

One of the easiest concepts to teach to preschoolers are learning about shapes. This is one which children can connect very well as shapes are just about anywhere and everywhere! By providing the children with creative activities on shapes and getting them immersed in the activities, they will develop into observant individuals who will make intelligent observations to whatever that they can see in the environment. They will notice the circle on the lid of the dustbin, the rectangles on the false ceilings, the hexagons on the bee hives and so on.

I was challenged during the last lesson by counting the angles of the polygons. I could not even remember when was the last time I attempted to do so! It was rather enlightening to see how we strive to produce the correct answer helped by some smart alecks who have provided us with tips on solving the problems. Well, even though I did not derive with the correct answer for some of them, most importantly, I thought I have tried hard enough to come quite close to it.

I particularly enjoyed the actiivity where we had to come up with different designs on the dotted paper to form the four-sided shapes given the particular square area. That was really interesting and fun! I gained the most cookies based on what I have collected so far during the last lesson for participating actively. That was indeed a very good  closure towards a six sessions of fun and interactive learning on Math!

No comments:

Post a Comment